3.28.2011

Re-Imagining Hopper & the Ghost Army












I have always been influenced by the paintings of Edward Hopper.  His sense of light & shadow and his colors.  Many times when I am stuck for an idea, a look through a book of his work unsticks me. I grew up in his home town and I'm now a trustee and member of the Gallery Selection Committee of the Edward Hopper House in Nyack, NY.

I am thrilled that 3 of my former students at SVA – Rich Tu, Katherine Ramos and Andrea Kantrowitz – will be displaying paintings inspired by Hopper's paintings in our upcoming exhibit, entitled "Hopper Re-Imagined." Other artists in this invitational exhibit are Karen Finley, Vic Muniz, Glynis Sweeney and many others.  April 2 - May 8, opening reception April 3, 3 - 5 pm.

And stay tuned for more info on an exhibit I am curating about the Ghost Army, a brigade of artists and actors who, during WWII used ingenuity, art and deception to trick the enemy, while painting their way across Europe. The Ghost Army Exhibit will be at the Historical Society of Rockland County May 1 - Oct. 16, opening reception May 1,  2 - 4 pm.

No comments:

All artwork on this website is
© 1996-2018 Elizabeth Sayles (unless noted otherwise)
and is registered with the Library of Congress.
Any unauthorized usage including downloads, etc. is punishable by law.

Ask first if you would like to use something.